sign on the wall at Goose Island Clybourn advertises tastings of Brettanomite,
as well as the date of the bottle release.
The bar at Goose
Island Clybourn brewpub
Six Steps to Brewing Beer1. Assemble ingredients. The four main ones are barley, water, hops and yeast.
2. Process the barley for brewing by heating it up, drying it out and cracking it. This process is called malting.
3. Steep the malted grain in hot water, which releases sugars. Then drain the water from the this sweet mash — the result is called wort.
4. Boil the wort and add hops. Hops will contribute bitterness to the beer and act as a preservative.
5. Ferment the beer by adding yeast. Yeast eats the beer’s sugar, spitting out carbon dioxide and alcohol in the process.
6. Bottle the beer. The bottled beer can be force-carbonated by adding carbon dioxide, or allow the beer to sit and the yeast will add carbonation naturally.