Attorney General Lisa Madigan gives advice to students who are enrolling in college.
Top 10 consumer complaints of 20121. Consumer Debt
2. Identity Theft
4. Construction/Home Improvement
6. Motor Vehicles/Used Auto Sales
7. Promotions and Schemes
8. Fraud Against Business
9. Mail Order
10. Motor Vehicle/Non-Warranty Repair
“Tip off to Rip off”The warning signs of scams
1. Asking for advanced fees
2. Making promises that one will make thousands of dollars for doing nothing
3. An attempt at getting credibility, either email/letter from neighbor, CNN, Google, etc. that falsely recommends a sweepstakes, lottery, or work-at-home scam
According to Steve Bernas, president and CEO of the Chicago area Better Business Bureau.